Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Migration from Subversion to Git

I'm migrating from Subversion to Git. It's about time, of course - decentralized SCMs have some significant advantages over the old-style SCMS such as CVS, Clearcase, Subversion and the like. I looked at Bazaar, which touts "Bazaar is a distributed version control system that Just Works." Sadly, I couldn't get it to work. It needed a lot of python modules that I, not being a python guy, don't really know where to get. Found some, not others. Funny thing is, Git "just works." Sure, had some hiccups with converting from Subversion before realizing that I had made an incorrect assumption about the repository structure in one case. Looks cool, though, especially when you throw github in the mix. Good stuff.

Recommended reading if you're thinking about converting from your current SCM to something new, whatever that may be: http://whygitisbetterthanx.com/

No comments: