Sunday, December 7, 2008

Windows Vista And My Network

Well, if you've been paying attention to Apple's commercials and your friends with new Windows computers, you may have heard that Windows Vista has issues. Here's one that got me.

When I hooked up a new Windows Vista computer to my wireless hub, it asked me for a PIN number. Hm. That's interesting, never seen that before. It told me to find the PIN on the underside of the WRT54G2 wireless hub, so I got it and entered it. It showed me a network SSID, which I carelessly clicked through. Suddenly, all the other devices hooked to the wireless network were dropped. Hmmm, that's weird.

Here's what happened. Apparently, using the PIN gives your computer complete control over the network hub. It changed the network SSID, randomly generated a new WPA shared key, and reset it. At this point everything else was dropped. What a pain! Shame on me for missing the fact that it was going to change the SSID, but surely I don't want the shared key changed, blocking out all other network devices. Yuck!

No comments: